Monday, June 20, 2011

Moab, Lake Powell, Grand Canyon, Durango

Two weeks ago a had 6 days off, so I drove to the Grand Canyon, AZ- one of my summer goals. The night before I left, my housemate told me Moab, UT, was "awesome". Since it was on my way I stopped there too and spent 2 nights. After 3 days in the desert a craved big water, so I stopped, swam, slept at Lake Powell, AZ, for one night. It was also on my way. On route, after listening to people talk, I decided to visit the North Rim of the Grand Canyon because the South Rim is another 200 miles and more touristy. I haven't yet added up all the miles. Initially I found my route on mapquest and altered it as advised and shown on paper maps. It was nice to shut down GPS for the week after relying on it so heavily finding my way around Denver.

I saw every place I wanted to see all thanks to my Silver Steed, my '02 Forester, which I bought as a rebuilt title, thank you very much, last fall. I got a great deal. What a fucking good find. She's taken me to Savannah, Charleston, Chicago, and Ft. Wayne, IN, to Denver. That desert was brutal. My car took me there so I could see for myself, and then she carried me back.


This was my face when I saw my first eye full of Moab... at sunset no less. Fuckin Moab. Gorgeous! I've never seen a more beautiful collage of red and green, and lots of other colors too.

I drove west on 70 across CO then just inside UT I cut south on 191. This was taken very soon after my redirection, just north of Moab.

The Colorado River

The campsite I shared with generous couple from Quebec on the bank of the Colorado River. There were no vacant campsites, and when I stopped to ask how to reserve one, they invited me to stay and eat their food. I didn't eat their food but I did ask them to take a picture of me brushing my teeth.