Wednesday, November 16, 2011

Spent Last Week in Durango

Wolf Creek was the only mountain pass I was concerned about going into the drive last Sunday. CDOT reports were consistent- "snow packed, icy, slush", the two days before leaving. It's no joke. It takes 10 miles to reach the summit...then you coast down for ~8. Everything else was reported bone dry and it was. And Wolf Creek was just as they said. I kept control by going 25mph on the ascent and 15 on the descent. A sign read to all commercial drivers to use chains. I had chains if I needed them, bought them that morning at Walmart. I had never put chains on my car before, so I pulled over for a test run after an older man showed me how to do it after breakfast at a VWF just south of Bailey. I felt proud when they didn't fall off after driving a half mile.

It was tense...but boy was it beautiful. I took this after completing the descent, feeling light & relaxed- no horrible daydreams came true.

Met Ryan's doggy dog, Royale, on this trip. He is a huge puppy at 110lbs and all love & snuggles.

True love
He likes to eat apples... and rabbit carcass.

We made Thanksgiving on Saturday: turkey, broccoli bake, rye & pumpernickel stuffing, colcannon and of course canned cranberries. Barley wine to drink and sea salt & caramel truffle ice cream for dessert.

Yum...
...five minutes later it's leftovers.