Saturday, May 14, 2011

Not Quite a Year Gap

So, since last May a lot has happened. I quit my job at the Dental Center, moved all my stuff into mom & dad's in Roanoke, IN, stayed with them for 6 months, during two of those months I studied at a Spanish language school in Boquete, Panama, spent a week on the beach in Bocas Del Toro and worked for three weeks on a tree house development near the Oso Peninsula in southwestern Costa Rica. And now, on this gray mid-May 2011 day, I'm writing from my sloped bed in my small rented bedroom in the back of a bungalow in a neighborhood called Wheat Ridge in Denver, CO.

Not a bad place to pick up another new routine. Denver is gorgeous, very clean, and the streets are a masterful work of art. They're wide, and the many by-passes make it easier than easy to get around, except for maybe 25, and a few other thoroughfares, between 3-6pm. The mountains are still a mystery to me, along with cutie restaurants, cafes, dance classes, etc. I'm waiting until I have income before I full-out explore because I make exploration a priority. It's a big reason why I chose this mobile, high paying skill set, which I plan to use just 2-3 days a week to make room for all the fun stuff I wanna do out here.

I've also looked into art studio space. It was very encouraging to find a ceramic-friendly space for $125/month. It's in a basement and it's only about 8 X 11'. So, I'm still looking and wanting to find a more industrial space for wielding metal & wood. But maybe I would rather concentrate on clay work, I do love it... decisions, decisions. I love having options. Last week I went to the first First Friday of the year in the Santa Fe St. art district, where the $125 space is located- very encouraging. Hundreds showed up. The sidewalks were frustrating, and a few food trucks and tents served corn on sticks, tacos, burgers, etc. Acoustic string bands and a corner lot dj dance party lifted the streets of the 4-5 block art opening.

I'll write more about my 2.5 weeks in Denver and the trip out here in later blogs...

The following photos are highlights of last summer, last summer in Appalachia & North Carolina. NC, I do love you and will return...


After Olivia broke her ankle bouldering in July she healed up in Lee Walker's studio apartment in downtown Marshall for 3-4 months. This made it easy for visitors to check on her daily and for her to get out and not have the lamest summer on record. I spent many hours with her here, especially while she was helping me make a dress for myself for the first time. While I worked on my project she made aprons and baby bibs to sell at the Laff festival in August or September, I forget. I think September. I helped her set up that day...more pictures of that later...

Once Mark talked me into trimming our tiny front yard.

Kelly, a friend from high school, & her boyfriend Shawn visited in September, I think, while touring college campuses in the south. They just had a baby girl this spring- Congrats Youts!

Here's Livy asleep, doped up and waiting for surgery to put in a plate and a few screws into her precious resilient ankle bones.

Close up of the cage. This happened while she was Indoor bouldering. So take care always, kids! I haven't bouldered since. It freaked me out.