Wednesday, September 7, 2011

Santa Fe, Last Thurs & Fri

Last Thursday I drove 6.5 hours south on 25 to Santa Fe, NM. Santa Fe was one of the places I most wanted to see this summer along with The Grand Canyon & Cheyenne, which I've seen among many other places along the way to and from. Three places I wanted to see but didn't are Yellowstone, San Francisco and Las Vegas, but I'm OK with it because there is a ton I've seen & done and more to discover here on the Colorado Front Range. They can wait til next spring.

So I was told to definitely check out the Folk Art Museum, and I did, and given a list of great restaurants, that I left on my dresser in my apartment. No problem because I stayed with my friends Alix & Anderson. This is their cute little guest house rental with private patio, so cute, close to downtown. They took me to their favorite taqueria and breakfast cafe. I'd put both on that list. We gabbed Thursday night over beers & veggie tacos. Friday morning Alix went to biology class and Anderson & I walked to the cafe to eat eggs with green chili sauce in the shade. I forgot how much I like green chili sauce and my friends' company. It was a heart warming visit. Thanks guys.

Anderson. He & I worked at First Carolina Deli in Greensboro, and he was a good friend of Brian's.

Their toilet sat on a step above the floor high enough for my feet to dangle. Strange & new to me.

Friday morning before leaving for Durango, I walked around downtown & The Plaza. It was very adobe and there were lots of tourists.



I love the smell of a leather shop.

check out the work at the top of the pillars





getting closer to The Plaza, the heart of Santa Fe tourism



This Church faced The Plaza. The Plaza was disappointing. Basically it's a park surrounded by tourist shops & street vendors.




Aztec Cafe

The International Folk Art Museum was a trip. Very kitschy. And I enjoyed looking through it. Some pieces, like these Mexican masks, I fully admire the craft & esthetic, and others were awkward. Really not much different from many other fine art exhibits.



Indian dolls. I love their unique faces, and their clothes are done really well.

i forget

i think the tag read 'an example of African Urban Art'

tiger love

weird plastic multi cultural table setting with a plastic cockroach in the corner

These dolls meditated so much their arms withered away and fell off. It's a child's toy to encourage enlightenment.

A Haitian artist makes these masks out of paper mache in reaction to the injury and damage caused by the earthquake last year.

I wanted to buy this Day of the Dead statuette until I flipped her over & saw $92.

Look closely and you can see engraved tattoos on the chest & arms.

84 heading north to Durango, 4 hour drive